Are you treating your life like a hobby or are you approaching it with a profound sense of purpose? Far too many of us are in “hobby mode” because we don’t believe that we deserve success or we have become deathly afraid of failure. Others have not given themselves permission to dream any bigger than what they were told they could achieve by parents, teachers, friends or others who themselves were afraid to leave their own little box to explore all of the amazing opportunities available to them. If you truly desire to play a much bigger, more impactful game of life then the tips below are guaranteed to move you in the right direction, provided you initiate them.
5 tips for playing a much bigger game of life….
1. Quit dabbling. Far too many of us are “dabbling” our way through life. We get excited about something, run with it for awhile and then lose interest and move on to the next “bright shiny object”. When we live with a profound sense of purpose we are able to harness the power of focus and begin accomplishing great things. What would your life look like if you quit dabbling, defined your purpose and applied the laser focus necessary to see your dreams become a reality? My guess is that you would begin to feel better about the new, committed you!
2. Get curious. Curiosity leads to opportunity. As children most of us were quite curious about the world around us. We tried new things, explored unchartered terrain and didn’t take NO for an answer. Slowly but surely, we found ourselves stepping into a custom designed box. We were encouraged by our parents and teachers to choose a specific path and then follow a set of instructions that would lead us to our “final” destination. Many of us woke up one day to the realization that this plan wasn’t working and the air in our little box was getting thinner. What would your life look like if you began approaching it with a sense of curiosity and you gave yourself permission to try new things and explore new opportunities? My guess is that you would quickly tear the lid off your tattered box and begin racing toward the opportunities awaiting you!
3. Give yourself permission to be great! We are usually our own biggest critic! Most of us judge ourselves far more harshly than anyone else ever could. We compare ourselves and our success to those around us and when we don’t feel like we are measuring up we become even more judgmental and critical toward ourselves. What would your life look like if you took your gaze off of others and began running the race you were destined to run? My guess is that you would have more energy and be a much happier person!
4. Seek role models. Once we define our purpose it’s time to find a role model, coach or mentor who can help us create a road map to reach our destination. There are no shortcuts to success, however, a good coach or mentor can help speed up our learning curve by sharing advice and designing strategies based on proven results. What would your life look like if you had a clear cut plan of action for achieving your goals as well as a coach or mentor to hold you accountable? My guess is that you would experience the magic that happens when responsibility meets accountability!
5. Embrace failure. I recently wrote a book titled Wisdom Through Failure. The premise behind this book is that in order to gain true wisdom we must accept and learn to embrace failure. We are all going to fail. When we personalize it we build scar tissue that causes us to become resistant to taking risks or trying new things. What would your life look like if you put yourself in a position to fail? My guess is that you will feel far more empowered than you will if you continue to play it safe?
I believe that all of us desire to make a difference in our world. The difference between you and somebody you envy is that you settled for less! As always, I look forward to your thoughts and feedback. Cheers!